Just wanted to say hello. I found this forum while researching aerators, and man, there is ton of great info and knowledgable people on here.
I am from Silver Springs Florida, which is in central Florida about 60 miles west of Daytona. Pretty much dead center of FL. I am a site and underground utility contractor here and have built many ponds. Mostly your basic water retention areas for commercial sites, but I've also built several decorative ponds for local horse farms and hotels. I have never gotten into the actual "pond management" scope of work, i.e. aeration, fish management, aquatic plant control, etc. We generally build the ponds to spec and another contractor comes in for that portion. So here I am, trying to educate myself a little further on pond management LOL
I have a couple ponds on my property that I have started to improve. The larger one is about an acre +/- in size and about 10 - 12 feet deep, although the depth varies due to rainfall as it is based on the local water table. It started out as a borrow site for our private motocross track, and after these lengthy Florida droughts, I've got it shaped and looking pretty nice. The other is about 1/2 acre and maybe 5-6' deep. It is more in a shady wooded area. It's a neat little pond, but it dries up in the dry season so I am only going to work on improving the larger pond.
I will post a detailed thread in the aeration section because I need some info on systems. I've been reading for two days on here, but still have some questions.
I also want to stock some fish. There are no fish in my ponds now, never have been. I think the aeration needs to come first though?. I did see some of the fish attractors that people have built out of PVC & pipe pieces. We have a huge scrap pile of leftover pipe from jobs so I will be making me some of those!
Thanks

Last edited by fastrnrik; 08/13/12 08:51 AM.