Agreed Ken this is good stuff here...lots of experts sharing their experiences with HSB as apex predators/panfish pop regulators is new science we all benefit from learning. Just another reason this forum is such a valuable resource for us all.

My take on your potential fishery -

It's my understanding HBG reproduction occurs, but 99% offspring are Male. I would think this would limit their reproduction capabilities significantly, and population. I don't have experience with HBG but hopefully someone can chime in on that thought.

Similarly, RES spawn typically 1x annually and females lay a fraction of the eggs of a BG - think I've read something like 8,000 vs 80,000 for BG - not to mention multiple BG spawns annually. Again, might suggest that RES population regulation won't become a management issue for you.

Not sure I know of many fisheries where CC are the only predator - with exception of Lusk's catfish pond that has high density CC and BG to help provide forage in addition to his feeding program. I'm assuming his CC keep the BG population in check, but have never directly inquired. The Boss needs to weigh in on this one.

You mention your CC will reproduce...that's another issue. I don't know if adult CC and HBG will keep YOY CC in check? If not, you seem to be needing an apex predator utilizing all species as forage, which was your original question. Seems introducing LMB will only create another species' population to control, unless you go with single sex fish. I'd go with males as their max size and gape are smaller than a female. You want small fish targeted, not your 8" RES or HBG - which a dozen 4-5# females would be liable to do. I imagine males in a .25 AC pond would max out around 2-2.5# and would be a better control method for smaller panfish and CC.

HSB could also serve this purpose, and are an easier control fish as you don't have to wait until Spring to identify gender as you would likely have to do with LMB. 12 HSB in that pond can be easily managed...too much predation you can harvest a few - not enough impact on panfish and CC you can stock a few more until the balance you desire is achieved.

In terms of stocking CC or HBG at small sizes - do you use grow out cages to release at end of season at a size less liable to be subject to predation?

Just my thoughts - sounds like a cool project. Were it my pond I'd go with the HSB as the panfish/cc equalizer. They are my favorite pond fish for many reasons.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]