Been measuring BG size vs HSB gape capability. At first glace it doesn't appear possible for a 18" HSB to manage anything beyond a 3" BG. However, through angling experiments I am already up to 4.5" with 18" HSB and will continue to increase the sizes to try and determine their gape limits. Not sure the top end yet, and it seems to defy what one can discern at first glance of the appearance of HSB limited gape. Hard for me to believe - but have proof positive at the end of my line.

Despite my heavy stocking of HSB in my fishery, why then do the BG population appear to continue to expand and stunt? I think my heavy feeding program helps take pressure off the BG - it has to. If not driven by hunger will a HSB hunt the shallows/vegetation for BG when there are defenseless floating cheeseburgers available?

While I agree HSB will rely on BG as forage, and also agree they can manage larger BG than appears possible, I also think an aggressive feeding program takes significant pressure off the BG population as forage items as other's suggest here.

If you want HSB to manage your BG population, limit or eliminate your pellet program and rely on aquatic invertabrates to grow your BG. I support that recommendation mentioned here by other HSB veterans...I just don't have the guts to stop the feeding...but I should, and measure the impact on my BG population.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]