George,

Have you found a correlation between the size of HSB and the size of the sunfish that they can consume?

Being as far north as I am, I can't grow CNBG, so I chose HBG, RES, and CC for our new 1/4 acre put-and-take pond. This pond is intended for underprivileged/handicapped kids and the elderly. The dam is built so that a large van with wheel chair lifts can easily offload and load passengers.

I feel I will need a top line predator to control the hybrid bluegill offspring, and I plan to replenish the HBG annually. I'm just not sure if 15-20 inch HSB will be capable of eating 3-4 inch HBG. I'm also thinking I will need to replenish my RES, and I usually can only get them in the 2-3 inch size. I'm not worried about the catfish, as I can usually get them in the 6-8 inch range, or larger. So far, I have not added a top line predator, and I really would like one that doesn't reproduce.

Also, I'm curious why you suggest getting the HSB on natural forage as soon as possible. I am currently, and was planning on, feeding the hybrid bluegill and channel cats to satiation every day. The new pond does have lots of sex crazed rosy reds and fatheads that are making babies pretty fast.

In my other pond, feeding the northern strain bluegill and catfish to satiation everyday means feeding the HSB too. The HSB certainly make a spectacular show when feeding.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!