Sorry I missed this post ….

A small ¼ acre pond can be a jewel in the rough following simple guidelines I have addressed before. I know the Eric is not a believer of “natural” ponds by his definition, but I put a twist on it … wink

The secret to controlling overpopulation of CNBG in a small pond is HSB predation and catfish in appropriate numbers, whether one BC or a few CC.

Our ¼ acre pond currently has NO aeration, occasional hand feeding, and I have NEVER have had a fish kill. We continue to catch a few trophy size CNBG and an occasional 4-5 lb HSB almost every trip. I keep thinking I have caught them all because haven’t restocked in about 3 years – BUT – I revive them in an O2 live well and just keep on catching them. They are not as fat as feed trained HSB but are the most fun fly rod fish to catch in a pond.

Bud, the only concern I would have for your small pond is that you are located in East Texas which is noted for acidic water and successful HSB programs in southern waters require high alkalinity – check your water quality - you probably know all about this stuff but may have to lime heavily but should be no problem in a small pond.

The only documented failure of HSB in small ponds in Southern waters that I am aware of was Meadowlark’s East Texas Piney Woods pond.

I would stock FHM first until they they are so thick the water turns black - then stock Overton's HSB abd pure Florida CNBG in numbers he recommends.

Good luck on your pond – small ponds are fun!
George

Picture below is HSB caught a couple of weeks ago – they don’t grow as large as James, Nate’s or Cason’s big ponds but mine are better ‘cause I catch mine on a fly rod …. :>)
Pardon my big hands ... grin

Last edited by george1; 06/25/12 08:58 AM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)