Can a comparison between growing trophy sized fish and maximizing the corn yield from of an acre of crop land be drawn.

Assuming a corn crop receives all the required soil inputs, such as moisture and fertilizer the corn will reach its optimal yield each and every time.

Soil inputs, which ensure growth optimization, can be placed in the soil when the seed is planted. The corn then draws what it needs when it needs it through out its growing cycle. So how can I do this with my fish? As the fish grows its requirements for optimal growth are also changing.

When an 1 acre forage pond is at capacity, with say 1,000 lbs of fatheads, and 100 6" BCP are stocked for the first time. The pond is set perfect for optimal BCB fish growth. Those fish shoot to 12" in 2-3 seasons. As the BCP grow, the forage becomes less optimal in size and numbers. Also, with numerous offspring growth optimization declines even further. The question I have is: How do I optimize the forage base (size and numbers) and maximize the fish growth with the constraint of a single ponds carrying capacity? Nate, are you basically using multiple ponds, with each pond optimized for different stages of a fishes growth to achieve trophy fish?

Last edited by mnfish; 05/29/12 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling