This is a very interesting topic and I love the analogy of balancing the variables on a knife edge ewest. Taking into account all of the variables present ie, genetics, feeding, proper forage, water quality, and fish status. I think it is nec. to achieve the highest quality of each, however, perhaps the one that is most difficult to replicate (assuming all others are of highest standards possible) is the fishes status during the initial stocking. Like I mentioned above that status of being on the very top of the food chain no matter what the species of fish. Looking at nature as a whole it is replicated in all species of animals over and over until deterioration from old age.Ie; the buck that grows unmolested in the suburbs, the alpha male wolf in glacier national park, That herd bull elk in yellowstone, the bruin bears of the kodiak . We find all of our "trophies" in nature occuring in situations where they can capitalize on conservation of energy allowing them to live longer stress free lives. Some of those areas may not have the best genetics or the best forage or the best quality of habitat. But the one thing they do have in common is the best possible scenario to achieve status. So perhaps as n8ly and others suggested the key may be in growing your select species of fish in a stress free environment and releasing it once it is big enough to maintain an alpha status.Perhaps that would work in ensuring a larger than home grown fish. I'll be quite and listen now