Originally Posted By: Omaha
This topic reminded me of a conversation I had with a Nebraska biologist about this very subject. Here's what he said.

"I ain't saying that fish will not eat them, but I don't think they like them very much."

Shorty also chimed in.

"Certain types of tadpoles DO leave a bad taste in a fishes mouth and fish DO learn to avoid certain types of tadpoles. If you are going to use tadpoles for bait you need to be selective."

Tadpoles have been low on my bait list for a long time. Back in college I ran across a scientific study about largemouth learning to avoid certain types of tadpoles while doing research for a term paper.

I had a large tadpole hatch in my pond a few weeks ago. As a test I tossed one of the small black tads in my RAS system and the SMB took turns sucking in the tad and spitting it out, the tad died but was never eaten. I think these are western chorus frog tadpoles or gray tree frog tadpoles, that is what I heard "calling" before they hatched. They could also be a Bufo Woodhousi (toad) tadpoles since they are small and black and I have heard a few of those calling too but not many. Too bad, I have 10,000 plus of them in the pond right now and the fish won't eat them.