We are switching back to work on the HVAC system. The next goal is to complete the sheet metal work for the rest of the supply ducts. We already finished 6 runs (for upstairs) and 4 shorter runs (for the downstairs shop area) last summer and insulated/dry-walled that part. That was done simply to cork up the shop area, thereby allowing us to move in for nicer digs. Now it's time to finish the balance of the ductwork.
-
All the work continues to be ladder-work into a ceiling height at 9-1/2 feet...yeah, sux. Some of the runs are pretty simple and straight....no obstructions.

Then, there's the headaches that need to negotiate around something else. This gets further complicated because I have to transition from round to oval to "sneak past" something.

Anyway, all the supply ductwork is done. Suffice to say that I put sheet metal work right up there with drywall taping and laying roof shingles....not my fav.

Now I have to work in the cold air returns. With a little forethought, I did manage to design a chase that will be right above the mechanical room below. The chase gets framed in.

This framework will be half chase and half "tall and skinny pantry"...still trying to squeeze out every square inch. This is the easy part of the CAR. The difficult part will be just below, the second floor....right back in the same space that I just finished laying in the supply ducts. I have to route from each of the bedroom areas and tie them back to the same chase we built upstairs. This is one of the BR CAR duct holes that will pull thru the wall cavity.

I didn't really do an architect-quality job of planning for the CAR's that run inside the floor framing, so that will mean some creative sheet metal work. Can't wait...soon come.