Well, after your suggestion I went back and did the pipe better. I have it sealed to just a trickle getting by. Seems the flow is between 20 and 30 gallons a min. A bit of rain picks it up almost right away.. Then it slowly drops off. I will still figure the tank by 10 GPM so if it falls in a bad drought I'm still good.

I bought the book, it came, I read it. grin I will be able to make a tank and have it work real well for raising trout.

Things decided...
Tank size 1200-1500 gallon. At this size the water changes every few hours even at low flow.

Tank will be built in a small shed. This will make winter easier to deal with. It will keep the sun off the water (algae). It will also make it easier to keep out predators.

Current dilemma's

Tank construction.. Concrete block or Wood need the liner. The liner is not cheap. When you add the two costs it ends up very expensive.

Plywood with Epoxy and fibreglass. No liner needed. should be ok in a shed. Difficult to work with tho.

Buy a large stock tank. Not cheap, needs fittings and such, not the right size. They are wide but very shallow.

I'm currently thinking the plywood and epoxy will be the best method. But I'm open to ideas.

Last edited by Stanb999; 04/11/12 04:15 AM.