This year when I feed the fish (I throw in about 4 lbs of Purina GFChow by hand about 4 times a week) over the deep hole at the south side of my pond, I have not been able to identify the very first fish that hit the feed. I am used to the "wham-turn-tail slap" of Channel Cats, the hit, run, and nibble of GShiners, and the lazy-day surface-swallow-submerge cycle of the Grass Carp. This is none of those patterns. It seems to be caused by fish intermediate in size between my 6"-9" GShiners and the 18"-24" CC. It is very quick, very violent, and virtually impossible to see the fish responsible (one time I thought I saw a tail with a lateral line, hence the idea it might be LMB). There are only a few hits like this right when the feed hits the water (tonight, three separate hits simultaneously), then, after the bigger CC show up, not again.

I have heard the decription of HSB "exploding" onto the feed; this is kind of like that, but 1) I only have one HSB that I know of and 2) I believe the strikes are too small to be caused by an 18"+ HSB.

Any ideas what is responsible? Possibilities among the stocked fish that have not been seen feeding are redears(very doubtful), BG, HBG, and LMB.

Cecil or others with feed-trained LMB - Do they hit the feed like this?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]