Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I believe it was here that I first heard the statement that adding NP to control a runaway BG population was a bad idea, due to the NP preference to consume LMB, with their more fusiform shape, rather than the BG.

I've never heard this before. However, in my particular situation it does make sense. In the past few years, since the intorduction of numerous NP in dad's pond, I can't say that i have actually seen an impact on the BG population, but I most certainly have noted that there are fewer LMB cruising the shallows, and those that we do see/catch, are quite a bit larger (whether they are actually growing or fewer smaller bass is making it easier to spot/catch the larger ones is up to speculation).

I would assume, very un-scientifically, that the NP hammered a few age groups of fingerling LMB, and as the NP continue to grow, they will continue to clean up some of the skinnier bass that fit the size of their preferred prey.

Of course, i know that isnt exclusive, and some of the BG will fall victim to predation as well...but the impact has been more notable on the LMB-side than the BG.

Also, i understand that there could be hundreds of other reasons for this effect as well.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.