Long time....no update...

Here's a little update with some more questions...

In June of 11', we purchased another 25 acres that attached to our original 16. There was a farm lease on it, that runs out at the end of December 2011. Here's what we own now...

The farmer has taken his fences down, and basically is giving up his lease now.

I have made a couple calls to some contractors, and feel somewhat discouraged...I've met with 2 guys so far, both are supposed to be getting back with me. I am meeting with another guy tomorrow morning, on the phone he was talking about $2.50 a yard to move it on site...40,000 yards time $2.50 a yard is $100,000....that's not even close to doable....

Am I expecting too much for too little?

I feel like the problem is that I can't get a decent bid. It seems like everyone wants to beat around the bush on stuff. I dont expect someone to give me an exact dollar figure, but somewhere in a $6000 range would be nice. Guys want to talk about hourly rates, then want to talk about by the yard rates, but dont seem to be able to give me an estimate of how many yards they can move per day.

I dont like the idea of "lets start at $15,000 and see where we make it." I'm afraid I'd end up with it only half done, then be screwed.

The thought has crossed my mind about renting a large tractor and large scraper for a month, doing most of the work myself, and consulting with someone throughout the process, then maybe hire them to do the finish work...

Any advice from guys that've done it...?