Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bgroamer, jnshel, Thirdy8special, Davis Pham CA, WiPondGuy
18,557 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,051
Posts558,889
Members18,557
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,642
ewest 21,527
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,166
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, Sunil, Theo Gallus, SHORTCREEK, gehajake), 1,002 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As the water has become cooler (just below 50 F.) I've been feeding hydrated feed to the fish in the cages and the free swimming fish. If you've never tried hydrating feed and pinching it to make it sink it's a blast to watch the free swimming fish go crazy over it like crack cocaine. What's interesting is the yellow perch and smallmouth bass have to wait in line for the sinking pellets. It just amazes me how dominant the big bluegills are!

Anyone else observe this?

BTW there are no largemouths in the pond -- just bluegill, yellow perch, and numerous feed trained smallmouth. I'm sure it would be a different story if there were largemouths. In fact I know so, as I've seen the largemouths crowd out all the other fish when I used to have them.

BTW, if you're interested in trying hydrated pellets, I've been mixing 5D05 Aquamax at a ration of 3 parts pellets to one part water in a zip lock bag. Roll the bag over and over several times to get all the pellets coated with water and than let the bag sit. Ever so often turn the bag over. In about 2 hours the water will have made it's way to the center of the pellets, and they will have the consistency of play dough. You don't want them anymore hydrated or they turn to a mush mess. If too dry they can't be pinched and made to sink. You can also feed them hydrated without pinching them and most will not sink -- at least right away.

Be aware that different pellet sizes require different rations of water to feed. 3:1 is to much water for 5D06 so you'd have to experiment. It's also possible that moisture levels could vary from batch to batch.

I thank Bill Cody for turning me on to hydrated feed. It's great for feed training too.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/25/11 07:46 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My big BG like hydrated LMB pellets. As they sink the BG tear them to pieces. That is of course after the HSB are full. Nothing gets between the HSB and the LMB pellets - not even the feed trained LMB.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I've seen similar social behavior with SMB in other ponds as CB1. Adult large BG seem to be more dominant than many of the YP. Evidently SMB are not that aggressive of a predator fish which is very probably why SMB do not do well when living with LMB.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/26/11 08:32 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I've seen similar social behavior with SMB in other ponds as CB1. Adult large BG seem to be more dominant than many of the YP. Evidently SMB are not that aggressive of a predator fish which is very probably why SMB do not do well when living with LMB.

But SMB are more aggressive than WE as per the SDSU study in some cases. Bill's comment is also verified by Jeff Slipke's comments on lakes he manages with both SMB and LMB. Note we are talking about intra fish aggressiveness as it relates to certain social aspects , feeding , reproduction etc. We are not talking about fishing and the fight they put up.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

But SMB are more aggressive than WE as per the SDSU study in some cases. Bill's comment is also verified by Jeff Slipke's comments on lakes he manages with both SMB and LMB. Note we are talking about intra fish aggressiveness as it relates to certain social aspects , feeding , reproduction etc. We are not talking about fishing and the fight they put up.

Makes sense guys. I can see where walleye don't have to be that aggressive as they have an advantage feeding during low light periods with their tapetum lucidum.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil I sent you an email.

D
D
to what temp can you feed hydrated feed

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
As long as they will eat it. Some do it through winter. But keep in mind they will not eat much due to slow metabolism.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dennis mcclain
to what temp can you feed hydrated feed

Eric's right. Some feed through winter but I stop at around 45 F. I'm still feeding now and water temps ranges from the upper 40's to lower 50's.

Bill Cody likes to drop feed through a hole in the ice and watch his big perch.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Cecil I sent you an email.

Got it, thanks.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've never understood the idea of hydrating and have never tried it. What advantage do you get from soaking in water prior to tossing them into the water?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I've never understood the idea of hydrating and have never tried it. What advantage do you get from soaking in water prior to tossing them into the water?

What would you prefer to eat dry beans or hydrated(cooked)beans? A fish's natural diet hasn't any dry food items so they are more apt to eat hydrated pellets than dry ones.

The bluegill in the Barge area will inhale pretty much anything I toss at them. They will spit it a back out if the texture isn't to their liking. They like sunflower seed meats but ignore the ones in the shell. They also like 5 bean salad but they only got to have it once as the pond started to smell badly.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Besides what Dwight said I use it to feed train wild fish (bluegills and yellow perch that were spawned in the big pond but never feed trained) and to feed fish in cold water a little longer into the fall or earlier in the spring.

I started feeding hydrated pellets in early spring a few years ago when I bought feed trained largemouths from a supplier that seines them out of his ponds as soon as his ice goes out. They've been handled a couple of times and were prone to fungus if I didn't get them on feed right away. However in the cold water they didn't want to come up to the surface for dry feed. Sinking hydrated feed was the answer and I never lost one to fungus. (These bass were in cages).

In the fall I like to pinch the pellets, sink them off the pier and see every large fish in the pond which includes well over 1 pound bluegills and yellow perch and some smallmouths right under my feet. Some shoot up within a few feet of me to get the sinking pellet before the other fish do.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/02/11 08:57 AM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sometimes I do see fish spit out a pellet but never knew why. Makes sense.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Also fish can eat a twice as large pellet if it is soften (hydrated). I have 4" YP that will eat hydrated 5D06 (9/32").

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
D
If your feeding a gallon ziplock bag full (or less), you can soften it up faster. Add water from the hot tap, then microwave for 30 second each side. Make sure all the air is squeezed out. And you have to keep an eye on it, so the bag don't swell up and blow

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dennis mcclain
If your feeding a gallon ziplock bag full (or less), you can soften it up faster. Add water from the hot tap, then microwave for 30 second each side. Make sure all the air is squeezed out. And you have to keep an eye on it, so the bag don't swell up and blow

Thanks Dennis I'll have to try that. Might be a high protein hot snack if you're in a hurry too. LOL sick

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/12/11 11:53 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
huskerman99
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by FishinRod - 06/01/24 12:06 PM
5 year pond review
by Sunil - 06/01/24 10:54 AM
Pond Clean Out
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/01/24 10:06 AM
NE Texas-wanting to build pond in wet-weather cree
by Thirdy8special - 05/31/24 10:00 PM