Greg,

Maybe I did it wrong. I certainly would like to have the benefits you and others speak of from fertilization.

Every situation is different....and it may be that because I have a cattle operation that provides nutrient rich drainage to my ponds, more fertilizer is not appropriate.

I can only speak from my experience...and am always looking for ways to improve my ponds...and learn from my mistakes and the expert advice herein.

I just know when I added the recommended liquid fertilizer(from Dunn's)a couple of years ago according to directions, within weeks I had shorelines that had underwater weeds that extended out to several feet deep and made the shorelines unfishable with everything except topwaters, and also had disgusting algae mats everywhere.

Like Kelly said, fertilizing a pond with existing weeds/algae is like throwing water on gasoline....it certainly was for me.

One good thing did come of that experience, however. It lead me to Tilapia for the algae control and that has been just terrific.