Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
Originally Posted By: dbhelm
My biggest challenge is getting property owners to agree on goals for the two ponds. If anyone has any suggestions based on the info provided, I'm all ears.

Nice place! And Suzy's a real keeper....
As for achieving a consensus; GOOD LUCK! POA's/HOA's are notorious for conflict, dissention and "gathering up their marbles to play elsewhere". The louder voices and bigger egos often over-rule those with knowledge.
I might suggest compiling an all-inclusive/succinctly written list of the membership's various goals (not necessarily limited to just the agreed-upon goals).
("Buy-In" is the key, IMO. When some member's ideas aren't considered by the group, that member is unlikely to "buy-in", even in the face of overwhelming logic and reason. If you've ever driven cattle, and witnessed what happens when one cow takes a tangent to the herd, you can better appreciate this strategy.)

The next step could go in several directions. However, I would probably suggest hiring a qualified lake management consultant to assess the lake (design, existing population, etc) and review all of the membership's goals; thereafter addressing a meeting of the members to cover the pros, cons, feasibility, methods and COSTS relative to the listed goals.
A respected third-party consultant MIGHT be able to convince the membership that certain goals may or may not be in the best interests of the resource - or the sustained values of adjacent property-investments. Rarely have I seen this feat accomplished by one of the group's members on their own; and ever rarer while achieving a high percentage of "buy in".

Couldn't have written it better... That sums up the nightmares of an HOA pond!