Originally Posted By: Allmadness
I am a new pond owner trying to get more and larger Bass in the pond. Here is a list of things on the agenda for 2011

1. Thinking of making the pond larger.
2. Adding aeration system
3. trapping bluegill and sunfish to remove the over crowed pond
4. Adding large mouth bass in August.

Glad to be apart of Pondboss and looking forward to all the things I can learn.

Thanks,
-Dan

Dan,

First, welcome to Pond Boss.

It sounds like you have an existing pond with stunted bluegill. How big is the present pond, and what is in it besides pure-strain bluegill? Are there other sunfish types? Are there any predators, like northern pike or walleye?

Next, what part of the state are you located in? The northern third of Wisconsin has far different fish growing conditions compared to the southern third of the state.

Again, depending on what part of the state you are in, I'm not sure I would add largemouth bass in August. I think I'd want to have lots of forage for the bass before subjecting them to a long and severe winter. I guess it depends on the quantity of small sunfish/bluegill. If you have an extremely large forage base, maybe now is the time to add the bass so they can become fat before the ice forms. If not, you may want to think about adding a forage species like fathead minnows now, and adding the bass early next spring.

I'd also suggest you contact Pond Boss friend Bob Robinson in Prescott, WI (715-262-4488, sales@kascomarine.com). Bob knows more about Wisconsin pond management than anybody. If you are thinking about aeration, he should be your first and most trusted contact. The guy is an incredible resource for all-things-ponds in Wisconsin.

Let's see what others chime in with. Other ideas?

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!