If there are a few 18" bass, then a few 8" HSB may go down the tubes. Generally speaking, HSB and LMB don't spend a lot of time in the same areas.

Something you might want to seriously consider is to pen the HSB for a short while after stocking. Two falls ago we stocked some 8" HSB in a lake with an established LMB fishery late evening with the HSB being a little stressed from the travel. It was impressive!! The LMB blew up on the poor little wipers like they were hitting a topwater lure. Big explosions left and right with each blow up representing another dead HSB. Big booboo! \:\( So the time of day and the condition of the stockers is crucial. I'd consider a midnight or mid afternoon stocking to let the HSB acclimate. It's conceivable that half of the mortality could occur within the first fifteen minutes.

I don't like stocking when the water is too cool, so I'd either get the fish in quickly before the fall cool-off, or wait until May of next year. February is a bad time. Actually I think a September stocking might be the best because it's the time that the LMB are already foraging well on YOY bluegill.

Just for the sake of argument I'd assume a mortality of 20-40%

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.