Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mrnot111, pondbear, N.C.PondJoe, LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex
18,579 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,090
Posts559,429
Members18,579
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,687
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,190
Who's Online Now
12 members (Chadsnider, Theeck, Augie, eags30, bemdh8, Knobber, Shorthose, HenryCountyAL, gautprod, Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Bigtrh24), 914 guests, and 459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
One half of my walk in basement is for taxidermy. Now the other half if for aquaculture (I have two 300 gallon tanks of fish in the other half).

Just did the taxes and was able to increase the floor space devoted to business for tax purposes! grin

So not only did the two tanks preclude any use of the humidifier upstairs (it got really annoying constantly filling the darn thing), but now I pay less taxes.

Win/Win!

My tax bill was substantially lower this year too due to all the money I'm investing in expanding the business. I'd rather put it where it isn't wasted!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/09/11 11:46 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Cecil, Ive been thinking of either raising some bluegill in tanks or haveing a small pond about 120'X120' dug next to my big pond for it. How many Bluegill could you raise in tanks compared to a small pond?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If biofiltraton, clarification, and aeration is sufficient you could raise up to a half a pound per gallon with the system I use. Some people raise even higher densities but I personally wouldn't go there for my niche market. Compare this to a typical density of 0.003 pounds per gallon in a typical pond.

My biggest outside pond is only 130 by 150 and I wouldn't have a problem with 2500 pounds of fish in it if I used surface aeration in the summer along with a diffuser system. Some aquaculturists raise 5000 pounds per acre or more.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/09/11 12:05 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I just was wanting a way to raise some bluegill or other forage until it was big enough to go in my main pond. The bass eat everything as soon as it goes in if its small. What would be the cheapest route to go?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
If biofiltraton, clarification, and aeration is sufficient you could raise up to a half a pound per gallon with the system I use.

That is a big "IF"!

Gotta let my nephew have the internet now, but, I will be back.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB,

Notice I said "could." wink

My PHD friend that raises hybrid striped bass by the thousands in an RAS said his fish don't feed optimally until density gets up to .25 lbs. per gallon. I haven't even approached the .25 pounds per gallon yet.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/09/11 08:36 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jsand13
I just was wanting a way to raise some bluegill or other forage until it was big enough to go in my main pond. The bass eat everything as soon as it goes in if its small. What would be the cheapest route to go?

If your forage is bluegill (not hybrids), you have some cover for the bluegills, and you have several age classes you shouldn't have to worry about your bass eating everything up. If I wanted a good fast growing bass population with good growth in all age classes I wouldn't depend on minnows.

Have you read the Pond Boss books on ponds? If not you should.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Cecil, that's interesting. If I understand, they start feeding better when their size makes them crowded?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Cecil, that's interesting. If I understand, they start feeding better when their size makes them crowded?

When the density is high enough (in this case larger so they occupy more space in the tank) there is more competition and a competitive response to feeding. I've seen this in my cages. It's the same as increasing the numbers but in this case they fill the tank more by their sizes.

I was also told by the producer to halt feeding completely for a day or so before resuming. He says if they know they will get fed on a regular basis they are less likely to feed aggressively. He's also a big believer in compensatory growth (fish catch up in growth or growth is stimulated if not fed regularly.)

I'm not sure if the research backs his beliefs up (Maybe Eric can tell us), but this is what he believes.

The hybrid striped bass grower that is a Purdue PHD also does some things that are not standard. He doesn't use electronic testing equipment (apparently doesn't trust it), and he hand sorts (doesn't use a grader.) If you saw how many fish he has it would seem that would be a daunting task considering it's only he and one other worker. He also has a specially formulated feed shipped in by Zeigler Bros. in PA.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/10/11 05:48 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
JKB,

My PHD friend that raises hybrid striped bass by the thousands in an RAS said his fish don't feed optimally until density gets up to .25 lbs. per gallon. I haven't even approached the .25 pounds per gallon yet.

1/4 lb/gal would be a good milestone to hit next time you fire your units up.

It would also be interesting to see how close you could sneak up to that 1/2 lb/gal mark before it became to laborious by water changes, cleaning, balancing water chemistry and at what point would supersaturation of DO come into play (if at all)

Fun stuff though smile

Last edited by JKB; 04/10/11 09:18 AM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
JKB,

1/4 lb/gal would be a good milestone to hit next time you fire your units up.

It would also be interesting to see how close you could sneak up to that 1/2 lb/gal mark before it became to laborious by water changes, cleaning, balancing water chemistry and at what point would supersaturation of DO come into play (if at all)

Fun stuff though smile

I doubt I will push the limit JKB. It's just not worth it for me to loose high value fish, (I do that already unintentionally), and I don't have to push the limit due to the prices I get. I also don't use oxygen or a ozone as I want to keep costs down. I'm a strong believer in the KISS principal. It works for me because it's idiot proof. grin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tony Chavis
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Augie - 06/18/24 09:13 AM
Poor preachers pond
by Sunil - 06/18/24 08:20 AM
Aqequate filtration system
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/18/24 06:00 AM
Windmill System Suggestions
by Catch N 8 NTex - 06/17/24 10:16 PM