1234, sounds like a possible fix might be something we discussed here on this thread , but no one had really tried it or could commit that it (part liner/part clay) might work. how did you install the clay? there could have been issues with that if it wasnt done right.

rolandfarm
sounds like you had a much higher silt percantage than clay in native soils there, and that'l let water through. in adding the imported clay it will be important to do a few things right including: blending with native soil, correct moisture content, compaction

blend it in and compact with the upper part of your native soil. i would say a good ratio would be about 3:1, three parts clay, 1 part native soil but this really depends on what the native soil is. coarser grained native soil will help keep the clay from rapidly expanding or contracting with varying moisture levels. if you put the clay on as a pure layer, it will be more likely to develop holes, cracks or thin spots that will let water through.

keep it moist......not wet, not dry, not very moist, not slightly moist......but moist. sounds funny, but its an actual soil classification terminology that ranges from dry to wet. you want moist clay. if yer in a remote area, think about getting a water truck on site.

compact, compact, compact. i probably should have used a sheepsfoot, but didnt.

after we "tilled" mine in mixing it with native soil, compacting with weight of excavator and re-compacting with dozers, i ran a sprinkler on it every couple days to keep it moist until the rains came. if mine had dried out shrank and cracked i'd've been toast cause we layed out the soils over fractured bedrock.

just some thoughts based on my limited experiences, other opinions may vary and are very welcome \:\)

GSF are people too!