Donovan, Welcome to the show!

The catfish probably came in with the canal water.

I would suggest you read the thread in this section (Muddy Water) titled "Alum kicks clay butt!". Between the hijacks and humor, there is a lot of great info.

What worries me is the "Catfish". Are they Bullheads, aka yellow-bellies or mud cats? If so, they will be a big problem in any clearing attempt!

No offense, but 1000 pounds of Gypsum in 2 acres of water is about as good as one jalapeño in 5 gallons of Texas chili...it might give a slight taste, but won't clear your sinus's. It would take several ton of gypsum in 2 acres for it to clear any, if at all. (Gypsum often does not clear a pond)

You will probably need to add a lot of Ag Lime to your pond also...maybe 15-20 tons. Get a soil test and send it to Texas A&M to know for sure...(it can be way over applied without harm)

To know if Alum would help. first do your jar test by letting the water set undisturbed for a week without adding anything to it. If it clears, even partially, something mechanical, bullheads, common carp, or wind/wave action is stirring up mud and stopping it from clearing...this will need to be addressed first.

If there is no clearing, go to the spice isle of any larger grocery store and purchase some Alum (Used in canning veggies). Take a nice pinch or two of the granules and put it in your test jar. Shake well and wait a few hours to see what happens. If it clears, you can either follow the steps outlined in the thread I suggested you read to determine an application rate, or plan to apply it ad hoc.

If Alum is used, ALWAYS use HYDRATED Lime at a 50% by weight (of alum used) rate to buffer the acidic effect of the Aluminum Sulfate. (Alum)

Last edited by Rainman; 03/12/11 10:22 PM.