The fabric is the only thing i didnt do. I wish i would of now, but 850' of driveway is a pain in the ass, Also i have 2 culverts to deal with.. I put the 6"-8" exactly for the reasons mentioned above, YOu couldnt even drive over it for a couple weeks but once the concrete and lumber trucks started coming in it sunk and leveled in no time. Then after the main part of my house was done i added the 3", My driveway is as smooth as can be with a couple light areas, But this spring i will have the spreader trucks come in and lay a even 4" cover of 1 or 2 inch minus then i should be good for years to come except for hole maitanance which i have a big pile of 1" minus for..
Let me tell you RC do it right or it will never be right and you will always be dumping rock on it.. Ive got buddies who dump tons of rock on there drives every year because they half assed the foundation now they all hate me cause mines like gravel concrete.. If you know where a rock quarry is sometimes you can get 8" In something called belt scraps, its basically what falls off the conveyers, 8" to fines its perfect for a base but impossible to drive over with a regular car at first. This is what i used for a base..I made my drive way with a John deere tractor dragging a disc set to 6" deep i drug it 4 or 5 times to the width i wanted then just scooped the broken up dirt and laid it down next to my house where my future dream shop will be built. Also 7.50 a ton probably dont include delivery Sometimes they try and screw you on delivering.. You have anymore questions about driveways let me know trust ive been down that road and do it right the first time so you aint doing it every year.. Good Luck Buddy..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]