Scott, that was the Hollerith coding system. Yep, I still know it. Actually, I guess I was one of the early computer pioneers. I've written operating systems and compilers but they sure didn't work very well. They used to call us mad scientists and we really weren't trusted that much.

A lot of things, actually most things, really are better. CNC machines have created tolerances that were unimagined "back in the day". Somewhere around here I have a reloading manual from the 50's. The Author, Elmer Keith I believe, said that is was impossible for manufacturing to create cartridge brass with close concentricity. That's no longer much of a problem and most things really do fit better.

Medicine has advanced a lot. Bing and I are polio survivors but most victims, mostly children, didn't make it. Now, it and a lot more viruses have been just about eliminated. We live longer and better now. At 68, I enjoy health that was unimagined in my Grandparents time.

I remember my Grandfather building the outhouse and how happy we were. I prefer the world of indoor plumbing and really like the idea of flush toilets. I like air conditioning too.

No way I want to go back to the "good old days". However, I still like the idea of a handshake in lieu of a contract.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/22/11 05:27 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP