I don't see it that way. I don't think a lot of people will be running out and buying $500 or more of equipment to deer hunt. The crossbow is easier to shoot accurately than a regular bow (takes less practice) so I feel that wanna be archers that are poor shots with vertical bows might switch. If it changes them from being poor shots with a vertical bow to mediocre shots with a horizontal bow, then I'm all for it.

(I've got both)

X-Bows habe their advantages and disadvantages. They are heavy, and can't be shot accurately without a rest. You can't twist around and shoot behind you when in a tree stand - the limbs will hit the tree when shot. They are much noisier than vert. bows. They cannot be left cocked overnight, so you either have to shoot it or somehow release the pressure on the limbs.

The effective range is the same or even a bit less than the newer compound bows, 50 Yds is stretching it, 30 is better because of the noise and jumping the string.

The advantages that I can see is not having to draw it back, easier to shoot accurately and easier to use in cold weather. It's easier to get a kid or woman involved in archery hunting if they don't have enough strength to pull back a bow that's strong enough to take a deer cleanly.

From what I've seen, the rules won't be implemented until 2012 if they are approved. They're just proposals now and are open for public comment. I feel that the proposals in this package are much better then the ones previously proposed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).