The contract is signed and we are inspecting the house on Monday morning. Barring any deal breakers, I will be the owner of a 7 acre property with a 1 acre pond on it.

The question I have is that the pond is rectangular shaped and the property line basically splits the pond in two down the middle of the rectangle. We have the "right" side with the dam on it. The neighbor has the "left" side with the shallower end.

I started reading multiple threads here from people wanting to drain their pond to remove unwanted species or stunted fish. That got me thinking....how does something like this work on a shared pond? Would I have to obtain permission from the neighbors to make any modifications on the pond? Would I have to consult some county gov't office?

Fortunately I'm on the dam end with the spillway but I can imagine that I'd be a pretty upset neighbor if it was the other way around and they drained the pond.

Anyone have any input on this? As the house is a foreclosure, we're really not getting much disclosure/information about the land itself.