Hello, Dave.

Thanks for asking about the place.... the picture with my buck was taken on a different property, so it is unburned and pristine.

My ranch that burned in April 2009... that's a different story. I would say that less than 1% of the trees made it through with minimal damage. 99% of my oak trees are did not leaf out again, and the bark is falling off the trunk. The trees are dead from the ground up.

The little good news there is, is that the roots of all these trees seem to be alive.... so I have a multi-trunked oak shrub growing around the base of each dead tree trunk. These shrubs are growing amazingly fast... most of them are 5 or 6 feet tall now. Here's a pic that's fairly representative... lots of undergrowth, grasses, and oak shrubs around the dead trunks. The deer have come back strong this season. Last season, there were very few.

My pond never did have any bad effects from the fire... I know that I had increased erosion into it, but other than that the water quality and fish seem to come through with no bad effects.

Thanks, Gary

Last edited by GaryTexas; 11/11/10 09:11 PM. Reason: Added Picture