Dave, thanks.

Victor, thanks also for the kind words. I put in this pond last spring 2006, completed in early May. It is in a clay area that was originally wet/swampy - fed by groundwater & seasonal spring flow. I'm next to a river, so I have a pump in the river to add water to the pond during summer. I have a small backhoe, but it was insufficient to the original task. A large track hoe was the answer. There is a good sized berm, and protecting against wash-out was a significant design goal. The occasional massive downpour has to be considered. Nine to 10 feet deep, flat bottom with steep sides. Bought an aeration kit (pump, hoses, clamps, diffusers, timer, etc) from Ted Lea at Forevergreen. The aeration is key. Lined the sides to about 3' feet deep with weed barrier and field stones that I have in great abundance. Keeps muddiness and weed growth to a minimum. I've designated one part of one end for cattails.

In May put in 75 Rainbows, 25 Brook. They fed well but went dormant when bottom water temps got to 65 deg f. (I bought a temp gauge with a 50' thermocouple lead to measure temp at the bottom.) But in Sept when temps lowered the fish got active feeding again.

In Sept added 50 Browns, which are reputed to do best of all trout with higher summer water temps.

I've caught good Rainbow, but have not seen one brook or brown since I but them in. I'm waiting and hoping that they are just more fickle.

Here's some more pics of the pond from last fall, noting that the one near side of the pond is still being completed with a paver walkway and field stone edging.

Let me know what you and Victoria decide. There are not a lot of northern trout pond postings - so it is nice to connect with others.

I put in a nice paver and architectural stone patio & fire pit area, integrated with some of the larger field stones for seating. The below pic shows me working on that. Kinda fun. The other shows the pond relation to the house.