In all honesty, I would rather ice fish than warm weather fish . As I've stated here before, I don't fish anywhere but my own ponds, and I only target Bluegill. (Winter or Summer). There's just something about it. I usually go alone, because everyone gives you the "look" when you mention it, and I feel better with just my weight on the ice. As far as what you need, start with safety. A pair of "picks", worn around your neck, and 50 or 100' of rope tied to your waist and secured on shore, or anchored through a hole augered just for that purpose, goes a long way toward peace of mind. I have several ice rods now, but caught a lot of fish in the early days with a $10 plastic Schooley rod and wind up reel combo. Use a weight to find bottom, insert the line stop peg in the reel and fish about a foot of the bottom to begin. A handfull of ice jigs, some spikes, (maggots)will get you started. Now, I pull my gear in a sled that folds up and over to make a shelter, it helps a lot on windy days. I also recommend some cleats, or ice grippers for your boots. That black ice is some slick stuff. Although I never used any electronics early on, I wouldn't leave the house now without my flasher. When you can watch your jig drift through the water column in real time, then watch a fish charge off the bottom and hammer it, that really gets your blood pumping. You've got the auger, spend 25-30 bucks more on equipment and give it a try. If it's not for you, at least you won't have a ton of money tied up in it. Just watch the ice and be safe.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.