Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PondGuppy, BarbaraE, Cloudfeather, Chadsnider, Kevin Matney
18,573 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,078
Posts559,293
Members18,574
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,174
Who's Online Now
6 members (FishinRod, Boondoggle, Catch N 8 NTex, FireIsHot, Tinylake, Theo Gallus), 719 guests, and 367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#238316 10/18/10 07:59 AM
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ok we have been fishing a creek on some land my father just purchased and have caught many fish so far. BG, GSF, BH, LMB, Long Ear Sunfish.

My question is will the fish make it through the winter in the creek or should we expect them to die off?

The reason I ask is we have kept some and released some, but if they are going to die anyway I would rather take them out to eat or move to another BOW.

Any thoughts or concerns?

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Without knowing a lot of information, I would say that there is a 99%
chance that they will live thru the winter - unless the creek goes dry......

Just do it...
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I guess more information would help.

The creek has dropped in depth a bit and does not move at this time.

It has many pockets of water the fish hang out in and I would guess they are not more than 3 feet, but without wading through it I am not for certain.

I do know that one area you could see the LMB just swimming around while we were up on the hill above the creek.

We then had to try to fish for them and you could watch them come out and hit the minnows just as you threw them in the water.

I was just concerned about ice cover and how much water depth they would need.

We did not want to take everything we caught since we enjoy fishing and with them being trapped in the wholes they tend to bite frequently.

But with the concern of ice over and die off, plus once spring comes back and the rains start I am sure many of them will swim up stream and be gone for ever anyway and a new generation will take there place.

You can see were the water level gets after a hard rain, it changes from about 1-2 feet up to as much as 8 feet when flowing.

Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Generally, they should live through the winter in the creek.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
So what factors would I need to look for that may cause them to die?

Would it be depth, ice, water flow, etc.?

Food source should not be an issue.

I do know that some areas are only about 1 foot deep.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I would agree on depth and water flow.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
That is what I am concerned with is there a minimum they should need of one or the other or both?

If I can get out in the next week or so I may try to wade through the pools and see how deep they are, otherwise it will be next spring or summer when it warms again.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
That is what I am concerned with is there a minimum they should need of one or the other or both?

If I can get out in the next week or so I may try to wade through the pools and see how deep they are, otherwise it will be next spring or summer when it warms again.

I wouldn't do anything if I was in your shoes. The fish are going to be fine unless something extreme and probably out of the ordinary happens. Lower water levels due to a dry season are not likely going to be much of a factor. Seriously, don't worry about it and like the other seriously experienced folks here have already said, nothing is going to happen - the fishing will still be there in spring. If you just can't help yourself from doing something, though, catch a few and toss them into your ponds, being mindful of course of all the warnings that are posted here about putting wild fish into your ponds. 'Nuff said!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO

Be careful, MRHELLO. Still water runs deep... Take a PFD with you.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of the fish in that creek are going to die.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: n8ly
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of the fish in that creek are going to die.

Nate,

Since you are one of the few that think this way would you mind elaborating why you believe they will die?

I am not disagreeing with you but rather would like the factors causing them to die off and what if anything could be done to help them.

Like I said not that big of an issue since I need a few extra bass in my ponds, but they are also healthy and big enough to eat as well.

I have the option of moving them to a pond, lake, my table etc. so that was not the concern but rather if they were going to die anyway I would assume catch as many as I can and eat them.

I also think the creek will trap more in the spring as well once it flows through there at the 5-8 feet depth it does.

I will be anxiously awaiting you expert advice.

Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm pretty sure Nate was referring to the inevitable end of life for all living things, mrhello! He is right - EVENTUALLY, all of those fish ARE going to die!

Todd La Neve

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Nate,

Is that what you meant, just being funny, or were you serious about a winter kill.

Just like to have any and all opinions here as to if the fish will die or should be removed or not.

Does anyone else have shallow creeks with pockets of water they can explain there winter exeriences with?

Thanks

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
We have a relatively shallow creek as well, only inches deep in spots, but also pools of over 4 feet deep. Fish live year round, though nothing large. A decent length cat was caught out of it last year, but it was very skinny and unhealthy looking.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Do you think the fish spawn in there or get trapped?

I may just leave them alone and see what happens.

I just think if it freezes over they would die with it being so shallow. All I know is there are some bass in there in the 2-3 pound range maybe larger.

I lost a nice one and have yet to get it again.

I would just hate for it to die.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Did you stock those 3 lb LMB? If you have any fish in there that you did not stock then you have a spawning population.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: n8ly

Why do you say that Nate? He's too far south for a good freeze. It sounds like whatever's in there survived last winter by their age, so why not this winter?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I believe Nate was being sarcastic... All things die eventually!

Anyways, we have a creek behind our hunting cabin. For the most part, by about this time of year the fishy inhabitants head down the creek and back to the Potomac River to over winter. It's not that they wouldn't survive, but the Potomac is lower gradient and therefore, they burn less energy in the lean winter months. Usually by late April our fishy friends have migrated back up the creek. Chain pickerel seem to stick around year round and the trout we stock if we have holder overs will usually stick around as well. I wouldn't stress it... Fish have evolved to live in different water body types and the ones in your creek will probably be just fine.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I was thinking Nate was being sarcastic, but just wanted him to clarify. I really have no idea, otherwise if I knew I would not have come here.

I guess it really is not that big of a deal either way.

Like I said I probably will not make it anyway to fish it, but if they were to die I would do my best to get there.

I guess my other concern was to over fish it and not have any fish in there next spring.

Another question would be when the water in up in the creek and flowing rapidly, what are the odds of the fish to move up and down it and getting trapped in different holes or new fish moving in?

I am really surprised that we have not seen any Crappie in the creek.

I was hoping to see some warmouths, rock bass, or small mouth bass, but no luck yet.

I think there are some sort of Darters and creek shiners of some sort. The shiners were schooled together and of course I left my net in the truck. I would have loved to caught some just to see what they were. If they are still around I may try to get some pictures and post them here.

Maybe next spring.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The only time I see crappies in smaller to medium sized rivers is when their is a reservoir up stream that they wash out of. Otherwise, they tend to be a large or huge river type fish...

All depends on the habitat, particularly sedimentation if SMB will be present. Rock bass usually require very cool waters to compete. I am sure you probably have at least a couple species of darter and several species of cyprinids present in that creek. The creek behind my hunting cabin, I have documented 4 species of darter, a sculpin and several species of cyprinid.

Yes, when the water is moving, fish will move up and down the creek. That is why there is no real point in my father stocking or trying to manage our 400 yard stretch of it... What is there today, may not be tomorrow...

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
What is a cyprinid?

We do not get too much rain this time of year so I would not expect them to leave that is why I was considering catching as many as I could and just let nature restock in the spring when the rains come.

But who knows it may never rain again to get the water hig entou for fish to move in and out and then I would have a creek with nothing.
Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
MRHELLO, most likely, there are other 'predators' catching fish out of that creek besides yourself. Take the fish if you want, or leave them. They'll be fine. If you take them, other fish will take their place in the creek, sooner than later.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
yea, sorry for jumping in so late, but definitely sarcastic. You do bring up a very good valid point definitely worthy of discussing and i would tend to strongly agree with Sunil (for this and most likely only this post...)

Those fish if they are over 2 lbs definitely are several years old. I doubt however if those same fish have been born and raised in your zone and I also doubt those are your broodstock for future generations. If it were my personal pond I would most definitely put some river genetic bass in as some sort of experiment. I personally wouldnt eat them not because of safety, but rather I have an abundance of other fish for eating and not an abundance of 2 lb river bass. If you dont transplant them or eat them, something or somebody else will eventually, but I dont think they are just going to die and be wasted.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thanks (I think).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bobt, burgermeister, Dwight, jldoll, rico
Recent Posts
Windmill System Suggestions
by Catch N 8 NTex - 06/12/24 05:14 PM
New Pond Build General Information
by Cloudfeather - 06/12/24 03:53 PM
System advice
by Bill Cody - 06/12/24 03:04 PM
Green Sunfish to Control Crappie Population?
by ewest - 06/12/24 02:47 PM
Gnat removal
by Bill Cody - 06/12/24 02:42 PM
Building a pond in Georgia
by PondGuppy - 06/12/24 01:40 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 01:25 PM
Shoreline plants now submerged. Will they die?
by jludwig - 06/12/24 12:35 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 11:18 AM
Is my pond dying?
by BarbaraE - 06/12/24 11:16 AM
alligator eating my fish food
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 11:07 AM
Turtles in my lake
by 4CornersPuddle - 06/12/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday