Dave:

I don't have a "spring" per se going into the pond. There is an 18" layer of clay at 12' below grade that is topped with about 6" of gravel. Below the clay it turns to sand again until another gravel layer is hit at 20' depth, with clay beneath that. I don't know how thick that layer of clay is, we only dug down to 22' when we renovated the pond. Currently the pond is sitting with a maximum water depth of 14'. It's rapidly approaching 48" below full pool.

There was water flowing into the pond thru both veins of gravel when we renovated the pond. There wasn't enough good clay to pack the pond basin, so it ebbs and flows along with the ground water. The pond was renovated in a wet year. I had to run the 15,000 gph trash pump for the 12 hours every day before we were to dig for the day just to get the water down a couple of feet deep.

I shut off the well going to the pond 2 days ago. The first day, the pond level dropped 1", the 2nd day it dropped another 1.5".

I think that was Jeff that had the Spring going into his pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).