Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bgroamer, jnshel, Thirdy8special, Davis Pham CA, WiPondGuy
18,557 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,051
Posts558,908
Members18,557
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,645
ewest 21,527
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,167
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, FishinRod, Thirdy8special), 584 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: JoeG
Rex beautiful pond you have built there, we live in a nice part of the world don't we?? I was just curious where you were located in NW PA? I also would like to extend an invite to give you some yellow perch next year, I have a pond that is full of young of the year and they will be easily trapped or caught by hook and line next year. It would help me reduce my numbers as well as give your pond a boost once you have your forage base started. You have enough water to add some FH minnows already, don't wait.

Joe, that is a very thoughtful offer for the perch that I might have to take you up on.

I live over in Guys Mills near Sugar Lake. Small world.

Rex

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
See! I told you the experts would be along shortly. I don't have anything left to add.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Well let me know when the experts show up, I have more questions Esshup.

Rex it is indeed a small world, I live 1/2 mile off of Rt. 408 a few miles east of the pheasant farm near a bend in the road called Teepleville. I have been to Sugar Lake many times, I worked on a bridge down in Milledgeville last year operating a crane and commuted down 173 daily for a while.

As far as the perch think nothing of it, it's an excuse to fish, a way to help me manage my pond, and it will save you a few bucks instead of having to buy them. I have seen lots of little ones this year, they will be hungry come spring, for sure.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Rex it is indeed a small world, I live 1/2 mile off of Rt. 408 a few miles east of the pheasant farm near a bend in the road called Teepleville. I have been to Sugar Lake many times, I worked on a bridge down in Milledgeville last year operating a crane and commuted down 173 daily for a while.

As far as the perch think nothing of it, it's an excuse to fish, a way to help me manage my pond, and it will save you a few bucks instead of having to buy them. I have seen lots of little ones this year, they will be hungry come spring, for sure.

Hey Joe - I am glad you have been popping your head in more of late! You and Ken inspired me to start a worm farm this year with the kids based on your old posts years back, and I was wondering where a forum vet like yourself had been spending their time. Good to have you back - we need veteran guidance!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Teehjaeh I'm just a poor country boy who loves to eat fish, as to where I have been spending my time, well, long story short version is usually in a crane somewhere or in my garage and getting caught up on all the work I neglected the previous year when I finished my house renovation. I am far from an expert, I'm still learning like everyone, but I feel like you gotta pay it forward and give something back to a board that has given so much to me. I have always enjoyed your posts as well and I really like your signature, I think of it everytime fishing gets slow, or hunting too, I'm really not out there anymore for the success as much as the experience.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

You're here. As long as you don't start arguing with yourself over your answers you'll be fine. wink grin

CJ, Dave Willis, you, everybody else who answered; they all were good answers in my book. I'm just along for the ride.

Ask away!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
If your spring has a fair distance to run before it gets to your pond maybe a small forage pond would be a good idea. The other guys know better but i think a bunch of extra fhm once or twice a year would help get your smaller mouthed predators (smb/yp/hsb) up to catchable size a little quicker. What do you think guys? I think it would make culling an absolute necessity though, as more young would survive and would make stunting of the bass and perch more likely. Just a thought.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think the forage pond is a good idea. In my mind, culling = fish for the table.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Joe, again I appreciate the kind offer. I also think it would be pretty cool seeing your pond.

PaWatergremlin, that small forage pond sounds like a neat idea. I might have the perfect place for it.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Anytime you want to swing by Rex, I am home most every evening to feed at 8:30 to 9 or so, matter of fact, it's time to feed the fish now. Get some FH's in there, you can't go wrong having fathead minnows in your pond, everything eats them.

Last edited by JoeG; 07/25/10 07:29 PM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My only concern with the forage pond being built between the spring source and the pond is the water will warm up substantially in the forage pond before it enters the main pond.

Rex, if you are interested in species of forage that may be better than the golden shiners and fatheads but are unsure how or where to catch and ID them. Maybe we can work out a weekend next spring and I can take a trip up your way and either bring you some or locally collect them. Species like bluntnose minnows, spotfin shiners and banded killifish...

R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Joe,

just put an order in for 5 lbs of minnows and 5 lbs of shiners. Should have them by next Wed.

R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
My only concern with the forage pond being built between the spring source and the pond is the water will warm up substantially in the forage pond before it enters the main pond.

Didn't think about that. I believe that would negate my trout plans so I'll have to think of something else.

Quote:
Rex, if you are interested in species of forage that may be better than the golden shiners and fatheads but are unsure how or where to catch and ID them. Maybe we can work out a weekend next spring and I can take a trip up your way and either bring you some or locally collect them. Species like bluntnose minnows, spotfin shiners and banded killifish...

CJ, I really appreciate it but I think I found a source online that I'm going to try.

http://agmap.psu.edu/Businesses/3075

I must say your generosity floors me. I sometimes lose faith in people but every once in awhile I'll meet someone like yourself that reminds me that there are still good people around. If you ever want to vacation up this way, you'd be welcome to use our cabin and I'd be more than happy to show you around.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
John Sproch is a fish supplier that Sunil uses. If I recall correctly, the SMB pictured on that web page are from Sunil's pond... From what I hear, he can be tough to get a hold of but can help in getting you unusual fish and larger than normal sizes as well. Something you will need for your pond goals.

Keep us updated on how things progress... That is the most frustrating thing about the forum in my opinion. Many folks come in for advice but then never or rarely check back in to share how things are progressing. That is how we all learn.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Rex you can buy fatheads more locally at Hilltop Hatchery over near Corry or at Raup Fisheries near Conneautville, both are within an hour drive more or less from Sugar Lake area. I bought my FH's from Raup as well as some Yellow Perch stock, Hilltop has a website if you google it. Many smaller local hatcheries not far from here carry trout, you could put some in for the winter and figure on removing them in the spring to eat before water got too warm. Glad you got some fish on the way, you will enjoy opening those bags, guaranteed!!!

R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Joe, I did order my fatheads and shiners from Raup. I'll be using Sproch's nursery for the other fish since he stocks harder to find species. Today I'll set up a crawfish trap down at the creek.

R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Got this structure idea from a thread here at pond boss. Do you guys like it?

Should I build more?

P
P
Love it...How long did that take to build?

P
P
And how did you anchor it all down?

R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: PaWatergremlin
Love it...How long did that take to build?

Logs were already cut. Took about 2 hrs. Tied with welding wire. Not staked down but I could tie it down to some blocks.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You may want to anchor it with some heavy blocks or rocks or it may float... Structure is good, but don't over do it either. Putting it in before the pond fills is a great idea. It is easier to do and allows you to place it exactly where you want it. If you're going with SMB, search for SMB info on here particularly how to build spawning beds for them... I would construct a couple dozen beds for them to spawn in.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Stainless wire? If not, the wire may rot thru in a couple of years. Hopefully the logs will be waterlogged enough so they won't float.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Not sure what welded wire is made of but it is used for fencing on farms for livestock.

I ordered some paracord today which is nylon and I'll use that to reinforce the structure. Made an additional log structure like the above today but this time I put rocks on the base to help secure it. I'll do that to the first log structure as well.

CJ, I've been checking out those SMB spawning beds on the forums. Seems you just put some rock in a small square and fill with pea gravel. I'll give it a shot.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rrroae
Tied with welding wire.

Originally Posted By: rrroae
Not sure what welded wire is made of but it is used for fencing on farms for livestock.

I thought you meant that you tied it together with welding wire that is used on a Mig Welder, sorry. You can use either aluminum, steel or stainless steel in a Mig Welder.

With the welded wire and the paracord, it will hold together for a long time.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
rrroae Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Wasn't sure on the paracord but nylon seemed like a good choice. Couldn't get a tight wrap with the welded wire because it's thick and not the easiest to work with. Hopefully the paracord will do a good job.

If you guys have never used it, paracord is great for about everything you can't do with duct tape.

Really good deal on Amazon right now for 1000' ft spool.

http://www.amazon.com/Olive-Parachute-Pa...0KWVA63J4207SGY

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
DRD II, Elkrunner, Penny7
Recent Posts
Pond addition house
by FishinRod - 06/01/24 10:59 PM
Green sunfish making me rethink my plan, opinions
by FishinRod - 06/01/24 10:54 PM
Pond Clean Out
by esshup - 06/01/24 09:07 PM