Hey, Kathy, sounds like you guys have a plan. Before you spend any of the money you are going to budget for the pond, be sure to run the ideas by the forum as the folks here will certainly have some thoughts and input for you that could save you money or help you get more bang for the buck. It's certainly a good idea to keep working on the manual weed removal right now, though.

I also see that you didn't get any replies to the last post about sucking the muck out of the pond. I am not aware of anything like that, though that doesn't mean anything. There are certainly risks and challenges of doing muck removal while your pond is filled and populated, so that's something to keep in mind. The disturbance of the silt/organic muck layer can release a lot of bad gasses into the water that will use O2, can cause turbidity issues that may be very harmful to fish, and many others that I don't know about. I think some have experience dredging a full pond, but I would guess that under anything but the most particular circumstances, this may be somewhat of a last choice for most people.

Please keep us in the loop.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB