Travis that's a mountain of great info - here are my reactions:

First off, thanks. This passionate feedback is what Pond Boss is all about.

I totally agree with your thought of establishing SMB first, or stocking with adult fish in order to help control panfish pops.

I agree go for sunfish with lowest fecundity. I don't know enough about the "other" species to make a recommendation. However, I would love for one of our members to have a sunfish species that unique - like the RBS. We need to know more about their potential roles in pond management.

If a guy really wants Esox - TM IMO are the way to go - but totally agree they may have unforeseen consequences on the fishery. Stock them with the purpose of foraging on sunfish, but they may instead be hammering WE, YP and SMB. NOT something intended - but can happen.

Questions:

Is the BT more tolerant of water issues than the hybrid Donaldson RBT? I know they can survive water temps up to 70-75, love pellets, grow fast, are aggressive, and are widely available throughout the West at least.

The forage species you recommend, we need to know more. Why are they more suitable to serve as a forage base than other minnows? I imagine they avoid predation better than FHM? They have a lower maximum size than GSH? How about fecundity? We are all looking for self sustaining populations of forage fish - we need to know MORE about these species. For a SMB/YP pond - IS THERE A SILVER BULLET[s]?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]