Well after being shamed for my silly water current question - I'm a little shy - but what the heck!

So it would appear the plant that I think we have identified as elodea is on the move - but want a definitive on the ID (if possible from these pics).

Here is a picture from 6/26

And same region from 7/7 (complete with the phantom pirate wake! crazy)

JHAP gave warning about mechanical removal of the stuff (if that is what it is).

So - what to do. It is mid-july and the aeration is running 24/7 except on the really hot days. Only thing of consequence in the pond to my knowledge are FHM.

Do I live with the encroachment this year and try to catch it early next year?
Do I treat it this year (in high water temps and full sun) with the risk of a lot of floating minnows?
Do I live with it permanently as a nutrient sucker (as pond frog is suggesting I think)?

I should have mentioned earlier that the west side of the pond (which is where this stuff is growing the heaviest) is probably where the runoff (if any) is coming from the above field. There is a ~250 ft long by 3 foot high berm that is about 25 feet from the shear face of the old quarry wall that was specifically installed to fend off the field runoff. You can see it with a bunch of "dots" that are sapling pines in this pic.