Good to see someone has issues that fire them up RAH. Forum rants are great. But I do blame certain entities, and I have seen the environment get degraded in my years to a point of no return. Just stand in the herbicide/pesticide isle in any Home Depot/Lowe's for an hour or so and talk to the people who DIY with these products. It's a disaster that is encouraged.

Tomorrow I get back to operation willow/cottonwood removal. Again, I have a customer with great intentions, but with 10 years of hacking away with a DIY toy chainsaw, I have a shoreline of trees, some with 20 inch stumps. And the seedlings are countless. What has occured with his weekend warrior efforts is a bunch of small multitrunked willows and a multitude of newer trees, and some large trunked trees. He just lost the battle and got overrun. So I get the commercial or pro saw out with a small bar about 18" here. I knock everything down, and then recut down to the ground. Even his previous hack jobs. Some are so bad I can't even get a cut under them, they will have to be dealt with seperately, same as those in two feet or more of water. After gathering up bucked up limbs and trunks and making them future burn piles I get Bayer Brush Killer plus. It's about 7% Triclopyr. Pretty nasty stuff, but it may stick around soil for 60-180 days. It just degrades immediately in water. But I very carefully paint it on with a bulk pack throwaway 2" brush. First coat soaks right in, second coat runs slightly. Always on a fresh cut, within minutes. I do not plan on ever cutting these trees again.

As far as gly, I try to add or make my own formulas. I try to go with any Monsanto Roundup gly, either promax or weed and grass concentrate, which is over 50% gly, and has unlisted surfactants. Normally they are fatty acids. I'll add my own surfactant just for good measure, and Scythe, normally 2-2-4 oz per gallon. Although the gly is the active ingrediant, I want improved droplet depostion and adhesion, plus cellular disruption inside the plant and increased permeability for the gly to work it's magic. I'd rather overload on the stickies and fatty acids then the gly. So I least I care enough to try and put the chemicals on with the lowest saturation of the potential contamination risks.

And one more interesting link for all of us Gly users and lovers. Or Monsanto fans. And yes, it could be propaganda, or it could be facts, but it is food for thought...

http://www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/behind_the_label/269751/roundup_weedkiller.html

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 06/11/10 12:57 PM.