Quick rundown,
.25 acre pond put in 50 3-6" CNBG July 2009 to start a production pond. no aeration.

Had decent spawn and have been feeding a few thousand yoy that are in the 2-3" range right now at 6 lbs feed per day.

Spring 2010 I got covered up with pondweed and coontail so I dropped in 8oz whitecap April 10th. Saw signs of a second spawn this spring.

The whitcap killed off 80% of the moss withen the first 30 days. Fish and water were fine. Then about 2wks ago I have a pondweed explosion in the pond. It covered about 10-15% withen 5 days. Water went murky at about 12" visability. Next about 5 days ago I guess the Whitecap is still present because the pondweed completely collapsed and went away. Water is still murky, not green, a brownish tint. Fish are still fine. THEN for the last two days we were cloudy and rainy.

Yesterday evening I had 25 ~8" fish and 2 3" CNBG floating. They appeared to have been dead from the day before

Bad luck I guess....

I went out this morning, no new dead fish. I threw out a small handful of food and I had my YOY coming up to get it.

QUESTIONS:
Do you think, I lost a bunch of my YOY based on what I saw floating? I don't mind losing the big ones they can be replaced at .80 cents a piece tomorrow.
Also, Im gonna stop feeding untill my seine net comes in next week and I pull out a bunch of my YOY. This should help the water out.

I would have liked to grow them larger than 2-3" before I transfer them to my larger mature bass ponds but I don't know if I should risk losing them all in the Hot summer.

Any thoughts.

Last edited by chadwickz71; 06/11/10 09:39 AM.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!