Originally Posted By: catmandoo
[quote=teehjaeh57]Ken

Talk to us about their ability to control vegetation as they aged. Did they become less efficient? Did turbidity become an issue? What number did you stock, how large is your pond, and what types of vegetation were present? Would you recommend this method as an economical, organic solution for vegetation control? Jeesh - guess this is the Hudson Inquisition...blush

Oh yeah...and what's your favorite color? [/quote

I'll talk! I'll talk! Just please turn off the bright lights and stop the water dripping on my head!

Five years ago there were four in the approximate 0.7 acre pond. I've taken three out by hook and line. One disappeared over the winter. That may be why some of my catfish grew so much over the winter.

All the GC were about 3-feet long. The pond has always been completely free of weeds, and remains completely free of weeds. That is why I've dropped so many tree tops into the pond. The only real growth in the pond was a clump of cattails that I took out with my backhoe a few years ago. Is it because of the grass carp? I don't know. I still have one large koi.

I want to get new ones in. I'll probably just put in two. If nothing else, they are just fun to have in the pond. As big as they are, they look like torpedoes. Very exciting to visitors. Sometimes they will jump and make a very impressive splash.

The only downside I saw was that they can consume a lot of pellets with their vacuum cleaner mouths.

I've seen very little turbidity, except for certain short periods. I'm thinking it was probably from the catfish trying to spawn. As I mention in another thread, my efforts to cut debris and silt inflow, causes my water remains scary clear. I'm thinking I may have to start fertilizing this year.

Great info here Ken, useful to us all! Actually, it's music to my ears as it settles a few questions I had regarding stocking qty and what water turbidity issues.

1. What kind of vegetation was present they controlled?

2. What is your favorite color?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]