Originally Posted By: Captain1
Any thoughts or conventional wisdom on how long it takes for a ponds fish population to acheive a balance among species?

Interesting question. I'm guessing the answer is "it depends." There are probably way too many variables to have a pat answer.

I have kept this quote from Bill Cody that I read over and over.....

From the thread: Stocking my pond - NE Indiana
February 22, 2009

By Bill Cody

Numerous VERY important variables occur in ponds that will affect how well any fishery, including the one proposed above, succeeds. Some of the important variables besides the numbers of fish stocked are:

1. The amount and quality of underwater habitat including submerged weed growth. A clean pond versus a congested pond. The “weed” species growing (those introduced and occurring naturally) will also be very important for how well the predators can deal with the weeds and or structure to find or locate prey.

2. Spawning AND survival success of all sport fish, includes supplemental stockings. Recruitment can be beneficial or undesirable based on the fishery balance within the pond.

3. Spawning and survival success of forage fish species; includes supplemental stockings and proper habitat for spawning of forage speices. Small sport and forage fish typically feed the predators. Ideally, the goal of a well balanced fishery is one where enough adults (25%-50%) of the main forage species survive to the next breeding season. If that does not occur, then usually there is some sort of problem and one should be finding out why and making adjustments in the management methods.

4. Water quality. Water quality throughout the year affects growth rates of all fish present. Lower quality water stresses fish. When fish are stressed feeding dramatically decreases and growth decreases or ceases. Complete pond aeration is almost necessary to contribute to the long term success of stocking densities suggested below.

5. Harvest rate and size of those harvested. This includes manual thinning. The best and highest quality fisheries occur where regular harvest is used to keep the fishery at a high quality to meet the pond owner’s goals. All forms of harvest contribute to total mortality and the balance within the fish community.

6. Mortality of all fish present - hatchlings to old fish. Mortality and harvest determine balance.

7. Predatory pressure. This is very important to overall fish density and is closely tied to mortality rate. Proper predatory pressure prevents species from becoming overabundant. One or two overabundant species are a detriment to the quality of the whole community.

8. Percentage of sport fish that are eating pellets. The pond owner has a fair amount of control in adjusting the balance of this feature. New pellet eating fish can be introduced and non-pellet eaters can be removed. A pellet eating fish tends to be less predatory on their preferred natural foods. A pond with a large percentage of pellet eating fish results in more forage fish being available and the optimal foraging theory working well for these fish to optimize growth rate and quickly make them trophy sized. Learn about Optimal Foraging Theory.

So I'm guessing that there will not be an answer as to when a fishery becomes balanced, I think there are too many variables.

Originally Posted By: Captain1
Maybe the FA is feeding the bluegill and giving them more hiding places??

Do BG eat FA?

Experts any feedback?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)