Originally Posted By: loretta
Great! Thanks Cecil! It's ok to pump with the pump laying on it's side?

Absolutely!

I measured the power cord, it is indeed 20' long. The float comes off the top of the pump, connected to the pump with a rubber tube, total length of tube and float is 24". I didn't readily see how to take it off because I didn't open up the pump. The model number looks like SD-316, I couldn't find it in a quick google search but logically it seems like it would be a continuous duty pump. I'm going to search some more to see if the float can be removed.

I don't know what to tell you. Mine came off very easily, but I don't remember specifics.

So I have a 20' cord which would lead me to believe that I can pump at least 12' of water (maybe not) but if I put the pump in more than 3.5' of water the float will be submerged. I'm worried that it will water log and sink, shutting off my pump.

I don't think so. Hey the pump was free right? What have you got to lose? A brand new one is not that expensive.

I know even less about electricity, lol.

Join the club. My dad was a telephone I & R man for 21 years after serving in the military for 20. He knows a lot about just about everything. He's nice to have around when he's not in Florida.

I really appreciate your help!

Anytime!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.