Thats just for pipe. I showed the site to a second contractor this evening who basically gave me the same news. Both were talking Sch 40, 15" riser and 12" barrel. I guess I need to make some calls and find out for myself, but I've had professional relationships with both for several years and feel I can trust them.

I guess the more I think about it, the more leary I am of going with a small pipe. According to all the numbers, the handbook tells me I need at least a 15":12" ratio of riser to barrel. Between teh soils, slope, vegetation and all, I'm coming up with about 9 cubic ft/sec - thats for a 1yr, 24hr storm event. So my contractors are in the ballpark with their pipe recommendatons. And having lived here for the past 11 years, I can easily recall that channel rippin pretty good a couple different times. Even if it costs more, I hope I only have to build this pond once.

So it sounds like I'm answering my own queston. She hasn't said it yet, but I can tell my wife thinks I'm obsessing. Shes gotten to where she looks at me kinda sideways when I talk about it...

Hey, I appreciate all your help!