I think we need Dave Willis to chime in here as I'm going on his advice IIRC regarding PS as a suitable companion panfish for a pond with SMB [or other fish with limited gape like HSB or YP] as the apex predator. He discouraged adding anything but RES as PS are more fecund, like the BG option. He also noted that PS max out at 8" up North in SD. Not sure how that compares to NY, but I would have thought favorably. I have no doubts someone of your skills can grow them larger, however! ;\)
AP - I have no experience with PS and you do, so I completely acknowledge and yield to you there. However, I want to make certain Josh is aware of the potential imbalance risk that exists when selecting a panfish for a pond that lacks LMB as the top line predator. I think PS are cool looking fish and, if they don't pose an overpopulation risk, could serve as a suitable, and super cool, option. I guess what I'm asking for is clarification on this point, as I may have my information wrong, but I don't think so. Advising Josh well here is our main goal...Bill, Eric, Dave please chime in!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]