Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Bski, how would the head clearance be if you dropped the elevation of the landing one (or 2?) steps and extended the length of the upper stairs by one (or 2?) steps.

I was thinkin' more on this one last night. Then, I found the national codes for stairways.
Rockytopper can correct me if I am wrong...
The only way I can gain the height at the headbumper is to drop the landing by one step. This would extend the upper stairway run by one more step. I do believe that it will be close, but it should maintain about 38" of landing.
In the pix, the lower stairway treads are 42" wide. They would narrow down to 36" to correctly ascend to the now smaller landing. At 36", they are the min tread width allowed.
Having the landing lower by 1 step does provide a bonus WRT the lower stairway. It makes it 1 less step, thereby moving it back from the service door by 9".

Regarding not having a landing at the top of the staircase, I picked this one up from the code.
 Quote:
A floor or landing is not required at
the top of an interior flight of stairs,
including stairs in an enclosed garage,
provided a door does not swing over
the stairs.

-
If the alteration to the landing does work out, I pick up 8" of height at the headbumper for a total of 77" clearance. Code is 80". The building inspector is (about) 72". It's worth the gamble.