Bski, how would the head clearance be if you dropped the elevation of the landing one (or 2?) steps and extended the length of the upper stairs by one (or 2?) steps. I think this would necessitate moving the door at the top of the stairs 90 degrees to the right, giving an upper landing with the window and closet access as you discussed above.

Comments:

1. Best flow through ventilation would be with the stairway door open to draw air up through both floors, cool in at the bottom and warm out at the top. But perhaps you will want to exclude shop/garage odors some times, so I can see where wanting access to the window without having the stairway open comes from.

2. There are two places in my parents' old house, the bottom of the stairs and the entrance to my Dad's workshop, where I learned to duck as I reached 6'3" in height. I hardly ever hit them after I got out of my teens. (Of course, I didn't live there much after my teens, either.)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]