In the 4 years that we have had the wood duck nesting boxes installed, I cannot honestly say that I have actually seen a wood duck at the pond. We got hooded mergansers and mallards to visit, but nothing as colorful as a woodie. Since we are absentee, and the nesting boxes are so far away and inaccessible by land, I have no idea what's been going on...or not.
This past weekend, I finally got to see the skittish little buggers. They did one heck of alot of flying recon missions over the pond, away for awhile, then back over the pond, then finally landing. Their reputation for liking quiet, undisturbed privacy was apparent.
I stood inside our tiny 10 x 12 cabin this morning, peering out the door window, sipping a cup of coffee and looking at our gar/apt project with the day's construction plans going thru my weary brain. 2 woodies came paddling over toward the boat dock, then climbed up the shore to investigate our project.
-

-
Then they took off and flew right over to the seclusion of the flooded timber and decided to check out the digs.
-