Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
My main pond and my former trout pond are ice free as of today March 10. I have two production ponds that still have ice but I doubt it will last another day. It's refreshing to see open water again@

Anyone else?

Finally made it out to our farm yesterday for the first time in about a month and our small pond is totally ice free. I did not see any dead fish at all, so the initial signs are encouraging. The water is a bit muddy due to all the surface runoff from snowmelt, and outflow pipe is running strong, sending water to the big pond.

The big pond is still probably 75% covered, some of it appears to be reasonably thick still, too. It's much more shaded, though, and doesn't get nearly the same amount of direct sunlight in a lot of areas that the small one gets due to steep banks and lots of trees.

Pretty cool. We're supposed to be in for some rain the next several days, so we're certainly going to have a surplus of water. The cool thing is seeing all the potential for projects designed to enhance the ponds over time. This is our first year of ownership, so each season is showing us new things. Really cool!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB