Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
robc, JCook1409, James Herndon, usa, David Lott
18,564 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,063
Posts559,088
Members18,564
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,667
ewest 21,537
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,167
Who's Online Now
7 members (Tinylake, bemdh8, Fishingadventure, lafarmpondguy, Theo Gallus, catscratch, FireIsHot), 596 guests, and 342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Just wondering if anyone does the garden thing.

My first garden since I was a kid was a stand of white oaks and poplar about two weeks before being planted last year.

It did quite well the first year.

I have been starting seeds in Jiffy Pellets for the past two weeks.

And just started Anaheim Chili Peppers today. (as my left eye will attest to)

I make some really awesome pickles and thought the Anaheim could be tamed enough to pop them in (seedless) to add an interesting alternative to the everyday Crunch Monsters.

Last edited by JKB; 02/21/10 10:22 PM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am doing a garden for the first time this year since I was a kid. I want to get back into it because I think we are in for the some tough times in the years to come and I want to reacquaint myself with the farming skills so if times really do get tough, I won't be so rusty when it starts to really count...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you want it to take off, step 1 = soil test.

I'm planting beans (Purple Pod climbing), Sweet Million Cherry Tomatoes, 'couple varieties of sweet corn, the usual yellow & green zucchini, Swiss Chard and a couple other things. I'll be planting carp when found as well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
The garden at my house has been in service since 1973 although it is about 1/3 it's original size. It's probably 40'X30' now. It may shrink again depending on how much of it is used this year.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
This time of the year my office turns into a temporary green house.

Raised beds, weed guard and an auto water system are huge time and back savers.
We barter with our local farmers market, they get all of our extra tomatoes, peppers, etc in exchange for the things we don’t grow but like to eat.
I worked out a deal with our local butcher…..for every 5 pounds of CC’s he pulls out of my pond, I get 2 free T Bone steaks. I’m still in negations with the local liquor store own…the guys more of a BG man and mine need another year to get to pan size.

For the best taste and texture, heirloom seeds are the only way to go.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm getting as crazy about my garden as I am about my fish. Nothing like going to get a fresh home-grown tomato only to find your small son stole them all. I planted apple trees because my whole family loves them. Broccoli, blueberries, apples, tomatoes...the healthiest ones are the best.
Jim, squash pollinate inside?

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
If you plant the fruit trees from HD or Lowes will they produce fruit this year? They have apple, peach & pear for about $17-18.

Just do it...
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
JKB - You are too early. We market garden in central Indiana (profitable for 20 years - every year - actually my wife).

Last edited by RAH; 02/22/10 06:27 PM.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Not doing a garden but I have some persimmon seedlings that I am going to plant. I planted them in some plastic tubes last spring so I could move them later on.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
If you plant the fruit trees from HD or Lowes will they produce fruit this year? They have apple, peach & pear for about $17-18.

I don't know about HD or Lowes, but I've bought fruit trees from Miller Nursery and Starke Brothers. I've had fruit the first year from Starke Brother Supreme trees, but I end up picking the fruit as soon as it sets. I want the tree to concentrate on getting a good root system and branch system first. I think there are 20 trees in the orchard now, and 100 asparagus plants in the raised bed.

I prefer Starke Bros. Supreme trees, but Miller's is right behind them. If not getting the Supreme trees, then it's a wash.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: RAH
JKB - You are too early. We market garden in central Indiana (profitable for 20 years - every year - actually my wife).

Actually I am a bit late on the onions. I'll probably end up getting set's. Cabbage is on time, plus I am going to try Leeks.

I have a guide for our area from MSU that I am following. A couple things may be a bit early but they will be grown in 4ft x 12ft containers that I am building and can stay in the garage for a little extra time. I can easily move them with the tractor.

My sister has something growing in her garage year round in containers.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I had my first real garden last year, but let it get a little out of control, however I did get quite a bit of goods. I like to focus on growing a ton of what I like as opposed to some of everything. I also want to plant some trees, but they may have to wait till fall.

Since this is a garden thread Ill ask a few questions if no one minds... My watermellons only got about volleyball size last year and busted, some busted and were not even ripe yet, any idea what caused this? I suppose this is due to the variety and excessive heat?

Also what are some good things to grow in southern oklahoma climate that I can plant in May or later when I get out of school? right now I dont get home enough to tend a garden.

Get out and fish.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Im in the Nursery buissiness and for those of yall planting a garden outside I was gonna tell yall that you can put out a weed prevenative called Treflan and you won't have to do any weeding. It keeps the weed seeds from germinating. If your planting your garden from seeds then don't put it out until after the plants come up.

Have any of yall checked out Mossy oaks Native Nuseries? Lots of different types of wildlife trees for a good price. I probably gonna get a few hundred and put in 10 gal. pots to sell here at the nursery.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
jsand13, how long does Treflan work? If I apply it in the Spring, will it prevent crabgrass from germinating?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
You might want to read up on Treflan before using it on vegetable gardens

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
JKB - You mentioned peppers - thus my comment.

If you use treflan, don't plant cucurbits in it! Read the label and only plant approved crops. Its a good herbicide for some vegetables but will damage others.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
It works as soon as it gets watered in. you may have to reapply ever 60 or 90 days for good results. Ive never used it in gardens but have used it in flower beds and its done a good job.
you may want to make sure that it can be used around vegetables.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
My wife has always done a garden every year and I've gradually become more and more involved (usually on the manual labor side of things). I'd be more interested in trying a few new things this coming year.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you have reseeding anuals or biannuals in your garden, treflan will typically kill the seed. Works great for most perennials and if you are planting annual plants (not seed). Sure saves a lot of work, but will not control all the weeds.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Corn gluten is a good pre-emergent weed treatment. Safe for people, animals & environment. Does not work well on grassy kinds of weeds -- you'll need a hoe for those. Works in gardens (fruit/veggie & flower) and on lawns.

Goldie
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Where can I get hold of the safety data on using corn gluten as a herbicide?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I got tired of fighting bermuda grass in my vegetable garden last year; so I am trying a no dig garden this year. Lay bags of potting soil in a row, cut out tops of bags, plant, and use mulch to hide bag. I loved growing Sugar Baby watermelons for a few years until my currrent traveling job made it hard to water and keep up with the bermuda grass. Gonna try some Thumbelina carrots (because of the bag depth), greens, and pole beans this year. Hopefully I will have the time to build some raised beds before next year to keep the grass out.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I tilled in compost last year and had very few weeds. The city near me sells it for 6.00/yard. I paid for ten yards and got about 14-15. I would like to get maybe a hundred yards this year but the guy with the dump truck is still in Indiana, besides, our road has frost laws.

The compost site is less than 5 miles from here and I could probably negotiate with the city to take it in larger chunks for less per yard, which would offset trucking. And this guy, if you paid him cash, would haul it pretty cheap!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: RAH
Where can I get hold of the safety data on using corn gluten as a herbicide?

http://www.hort.iastate.edu/gluten/? -- and lots of other sites. I googled: use of corn gluten as herbicide and the top 5 or more site were universities.

Goldie
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Goldie - I was looking for safety tests. The site that you provided doesn't seem to have safety data. I ask because I am wondering why it is assumed that corn gluten is safe, while it is assumed that registered herbicides with volumes of safety tests are less safe. Just wondering if it a faith thing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
stargazer
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FireIsHot - 06/07/24 04:51 PM
Fry based on dates?
by FishinRod - 06/07/24 03:55 PM
Ideal food/pellet size?
by FishinRod - 06/07/24 03:41 PM
Flumigard aka flumioxazin