Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Some of these questions have been purposely vague, and I commend everybody for not complaining about the fact that I've been pretty subjective about the answers and awarding of points.

But here's a question that you couldn't possibly know the exact answer, but I'm going to give three points for a correct answer, and two points for an honest try, so long as the "reason" for your answer is sound.

I went to the Lincoln Home Builders Home and Garden Show last weekend, and to my surprise I ran into the owner of the mining operation on the east side of the road. He had purchased it from the Quarry owners who had mined the west side. He told me that all mining activity had been ceased indefinitely, and that he believed it would never resume.

I asked him why.

His answer was succinct. It was six words long.

In six words or less, speculate why the mining operation had been terminated, then feel free to add any discussion.

I'll tell you what. This has been the most enjoyable thread I've ever been a part of. It combines all of the things that I love about Mr. Lusk's website.

It's informative.

It stimulates discussion.

It has humor.

It has even allowed for some thread drift. \:\)

Most of all however, it just shows how a bunch of intelligent and helpful people can combine to make this place an awesome learning experience.

1. Couldn't
2. Risk
3. Invasion
4. Of
5. Green
6. Sunfish.

Or, alternatively,

1. Got
2. All
3. The
4. Good
5. Profitable
6. Limestone

I have absolutely no idea on this one and have not scrolled down to look at the other answers that appear to be already given from the post count that appeared since I last checked this thread late last night. I'll see how far off I am in a second.

Taking a stab based on the way the pit across the road appears to be mined - looks like it's been dug in a very deliberate manner with certain areas being avoided and others being targeted. I know most quarries do mine in a "master plan" sort of pattern, but this one looks like they could have gone into other areas pretty easily but have not. I'm speculating that the content of limestone isn't as high in those areas as the ones already mined and that the lower content makes continued mining unprofitable. As well, given the obvious development of nice homes around the pit, I'd guess there is some concern about blasting damage liability and jerks like me filing suit for repairs to those nice homes from ongoing blasting operations. Also, they may not have any more mineral rights to allow them to mind beyond the parameters of the pit as it's currently defined.

Come on points! (And I've got to remember to wear my tinfoil hat today to avoid detection by the GSA Death Star for my blasphemous comment about GSF!)

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB