I think that this thread is interesting, but for a recreational pond, I think that philosophy rather than logic rules. I know that feeding and aeration will produce more bigger fish in my pond, but I like the idea that a "natural" food web develops. I enjoy seeing how the ecology develops. I also like to catch less domestic fish, although in reality, they are genetically hatchery fish. I throw everything back, but let my neighbor take as many BG as possible. From a logic standpoint, when insects and other invertibrates are present, it is more efficient to have your preferred species feed directly on them, because it is inefficient to have them pass through another species (great loss of calories). However, in my climate, perhaps forage fish provide a sink for calories during cold periods (or perhaps not). Non-commercial ponds are for entertainment, so manage them in a manner that entertains you. Not to say that information is a bad thing, but as others have said, it depends on what YOU want.