Originally Posted By: WaterWizard
He just said that they were rainbows that he got from a local supplier. He said they have a variety of fish to choose from. He just wanted a second opinion.

Out of curiosity (or perhaps stupidity) can you explain something to me. I always thought that triploid species of fish were the sterile ones. Isn't diploidy the standard for natural fish or most animals for that matter?

The local supplier should have each of the types I mentioned, and might be better suited since he is local to suggest stocking rates. I'm thinking they went for diploid.

OK, if I screw up this explanation don't laugh too hard. Diploid in a marketing term would be fertile, opposed to sterile. In Utah they refer to them as diploid (normal), steelhead, and sterile (triploid). Just to note the differences between them. I guess you could say fertile and sterile, or diploid and triploid, but they don't.

Yes, diploid is normal, two sets of chromosomes. Triploid are usually pressurized eggs that form a third set of chromosomes, making them sterile. The most common usage here is for Grass Carp, because they cannot be shipped to many states unless they are triploid or infertile due to potential infestation. With trout when you triploid them they use all of the food energy to get bigger and fatter, not to reproduce. Triploid trout are very much in demand for trophy applications. 20 lb rainbows are possible.

The reason I asked is for balance. The Splakes are probably going to end up ruling the lake because they are just superior bred. They can really reproduce in a lake enviroment and will outcompete most other trout. The Tigers will just be trophies. Very good eating also. The rainbows will try to compete but will probably fall by the wayside as not being able to sustain and not big enough to rule. If you caught and released the rainbows it would help if they are diploid. They might be able to sustain. What's great about these three is you will instantly know what you caught, they look vastly different from each other. A little late now but I might have gone with triploid rainbows.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 02/16/10 07:14 PM.