Ok....Now that i have become more familiar with the PB forum, I've found the wealth of information about bass-heavy BOWs. You guys are just plain awesome, you know that?

I read this in an archive:
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Basically the overall fertility of the pond determines how many fish will be present. One can usually determine a general estimate of fertility by measuring water clarity. Cloudy greenish water means potential for more fish and the clearer the water means probably fewer fish. So first determine the fertility (water clarity) then that will suggest how many bass will be supported by the pond and how many might need to be removed.

The pond in question is CRYSTAL clear. You can see the bottom of the lake clearly in places I have identified as 12' of water, and some that I am sure are 14-16.
After more discussions with lake residents (the people, not the fish...;) Growing 2 or 3 12lb monsters is not a goal. Many people enjoy the fast-catching action of the bass-heavy lake. But everyone agrees that ultimately it would be nice to hook into a 3lb mini lunker once and a while.
So given the low fertility levels and the more moderate goals than the initial ones my father and I have, how should I be adjusting the bass population? I had originally used the equasion that each surface acre should maintain 50lbs of bass, making it 375 lbs in the lake, (assuming average weight of just under a pound) I was going to recommend they try to cull 70-90 lbs of skinny bass every year until the balance reached the goal they wanted, then reduce it to around 30 lbs a year (they are considering a 4th of july annual skinny bass fishing derby to do this...they are actually proposing that to the HOA and lake committee before I can get my plan together, I think you guys have inspired a bunch of empty-nesters to take on the task of managing their fishery more actively).

Remember that artificial cover is already in the works.

I have signed 4 more homeowners who frequently fish to start keeping creel data compiled on a google doc spreadsheet, and now the 9 interested parties aren't all on the same geographic side of the lake, which is good. Honestly with all of the info you guys have given me, it is beginning to look like we can get this thing done right, HOA or no HOA.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.